OVERDRAFT PROTECTION AND OVERDRAFT PRIVILEGE
Life happens! Mainstreet Credit Union understands that unexpected overdrafts occur from time to time – Overdraft Coverage can help.
OVERDRAFT COVERAGE OPTIONS
The choice is yours. Consider these ways to cover overdrafts:
|Overdraft Protection1||$3.00 fee per transfer2|
|Overdraft Privilege||$27.50 Overdraft Fee per item|
1Call us at 913-599-1010, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or come by a branch to sign-up for this service.
2Transfer fee is waived for Classic Club members.
Overdraft Protection applies to all transactions, excluding OnlineAccess and PhoneAccess transfers, and may help prevent overdrafts by automatically transferring funds to your checking account from another deposit account you may have at Mainstreet for a fee.
Overdraft Privilege allows you to overdraw your account up to the disclosed limit for a fee to pay a transaction. Even if you have Overdraft Protection, Overdraft Privilege is still available as secondary coverage if the other protection source is exhausted. Please review the “What Else You Should Know” section included with this disclosure for other important information.
|Transactions Covered with
(No action required)
(Your consent required)*
|ACH- Automatic Debits||X||X|
|Recurring Debit Card Transactions||X||X|
|Teller Window Transactions||X||X|
|Everyday Debit Card Transactions||X*|
If you would like to select Extended Coverage for future transactions:
- call us at 913-599-1010 or 888-395-1010
- visit any on of our branches
- email us at email@example.com
- complete the consent form:
Extended Coverage Consent Form
*If you choose Extended Coverage on your consumer account, ATM transactions and everyday debit card transactions will be included with the transactions listed under Standard Coverage. If you already have Overdraft Privilege Extended Coverage, it is not necessary to request it again. Business accounts automatically have Extended Coverage.
You can discontinue Overdraft Privilege in its entirety by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, calling us at 913-599- 1010 or 888-395-1010, or visiting any branch.
WHAT ELSE YOU SHOULD KNOW
- A link to another account may be less expensive than an overdraft. A single larger overdraft will result in one fee, instead of multiple smaller overdrafts. Use our mobile banking, OnlineAccess and PhoneAccess services to track your balance. For financial education resources, please visit www.mymoney.gov.
- The $27.50 Overdraft Fee amount that is charged if you overdraw your account is the same amount as the fee that is charged if an item is returned as unpaid. If multiple items overdraw your account on the same day, each item will be assessed an appropriate Overdraft Fee or a Non-Sufficient Funds Fee (NSF) of $27.50. All fees and charges will be included as part of the Overdraft Privilege limit amount. Your account may become overdrawn more than the Overdraft Privilege limit amount because of a fee.
- Recipients of federal or state benefits payments who do not wish us to deduct the amount overdrawn and the Overdraft Fee from funds that you deposit or that are deposited into your account may call us at (913) 599-1010 to discontinue Overdraft Privilege.
- If an item is returned because the Available Balance (as defined below) in your account is not sufficient to cover the item and the item is presented for payment again, Mainstreet Credit Union (“We”) will charge a Non-Sufficient Funds Fee (NSF) each time the item is returned because the amount exceeds the Available Balance in your account. Because we may charge a Non-Sufficient Funds Fee (NSF) each time an item is presented, we may charge you more than one fee for any given item as a result of a returned item and representment of the item. When we charge a Non-Sufficient Funds Fee (NSF), the charge reduces the Available Balance in your account and may put your account into (or further into) overdraft. If, on representment of the item, the Available Balance in your account is sufficient to cover the item we may pay the item, and, if payment causes an overdraft, charge an Overdraft Fee. There is no limit on the total Overdraft Fees per day we will charge.
- This describes the posting order for purposes of determining overdrafts. Our general policy is to post items throughout the day and to post ACH credits before debits. ACH transactions are posted from lowest to highest dollar amount, and ATM and debit card transactions in the order in which the items are received, while paper checks are posted in lowest to highest dollar amount; however, because of the many ways we allow you to access your account, the posting order of individual items may differ from these general policies. Holds on funds (described herein) and the order in which transactions are posted may impact the total amount of Overdraft Fees or Non-Sufficient Funds Fees (NSF) assessed.
- Mainstreet Credit Union may be obligated to pay some debit card transactions that are not authorized through the payment system but which we are required to pay due to the payment system rules, and as a result you may incur fees if such transactions overdraw your account. However, we will not authorize debit card or ATM transactions unless your account’s Available Balance (including Overdraft Coverage Options) is sufficient to cover the transactions and any fee(s).
- Overdraft Privilege is not a line of credit; it is a discretionary overdraft service that can be withdrawn at any time without prior notice.
- Each Account Owner, as defined in our Account Agreement, will continue to be liable, jointly and severally, for all overdraft and fee amounts, as described in the Membership and Account Agreement. The total (negative) balance, including all fees and charges, is due and payable upon demand.
- Giving us your consent to pay everyday debit card and ATM overdrafts on your consumer account (Extended Coverage) may result in you incurring Overdraft Fees for transactions that we would otherwise be required to pay without assessing an Overdraft Fee. However, this would allow us to authorize transactions up to the amount of your Overdraft Privilege limit. If you consent to Extended Coverage on your consumer account, it will remain on your account until it is otherwise withdrawn.
Understanding your Available Balance: Your account has two kinds of balances: the Ledger Balance (Actual Balance) and the Available Balance.
- Mainstreet Credit Union will authorize and pay transactions using the Available Balance plus any Overdraft Protection or Overdraft Privilege.
- Your Ledger Balance (Actual Balance) reflects the full amount of all deposits to your account as well as payment transactions that have been posted to your account. It does not reflect checks you have written and are still outstanding or transactions that have been authorized but are still pending.
- Your Available Balance is the amount available to you to use for purchases, withdrawals, or to cover transactions. The Available Balance is your Ledger Balance (Actual Balance), less any holds due to pending debit card transactions and holds on deposited funds. Mainstreet Credit Union may place a hold on deposited funds in accordance with our Funds Availability Policy Disclosure which will reduce the amount of your Available Balance.”
- The balance used for authorizing checks, ACH items, and recurring debit card transactions is your Available Balance plus any available Overdraft Protection and includes the Overdraft Privilege limit.
- The balance used for authorizing ATM and everyday debit card transactions on accounts with Standard Coverage is your Available Balance plus any available Overdraft Protection but does NOT include the Overdraft Privilege limit.
- The balance used for authorizing ATM and everyday debit card transactions on accounts with Extended Coverage is your Available Balance plus any available Overdraft Protection and includes the Overdraft Privilege limit.
- Because your Available Balance reflects pending transactions and debit holds, your balance may appear to cover a transaction but later upon settlement it may not be sufficient to cover such transaction. In such cases, the transaction may further overdraw your account and be subject to additional overdraft fees. You should assume that any item which would overdraw your account based on your Available Balance may create an overdraft. Note that we may place a hold on deposited funds in accordance with our Membership and Account Agreement, which will reduce the amount in your Available Balance.
- Please be aware that the Overdraft Privilege amount is not included in your Available Balance provided through OnlineAccess, PhoneAccess, mobile banking, or ATMs.
- Mainstreet Credit Union will place a hold on your account for any authorized debit card transaction until the transaction settles (usually within two business days) or as permitted by payment system rules. In some cases, the hold may exceed the amount of the transaction. When the hold ends, the funds will be added to the Available Balance in your account. If your account is overdrawn after the held funds are added to the Available Balance and the transaction is posted to the Available Balance, an Overdraft Fee may be assessed.
- Except as described herein, Mainstreet Credit Union will not pay items if the Available Balance in your account (including the Overdraft Privilege limit, if applicable) is not sufficient to cover the item(s) and the amount of any fee(s).
Understanding Overdraft Privilege Limits
- New consumer checking accounts may receive a $500 Overdraft Privilege limit at account opening that may be increased to $1,000 after one year from the date of membership at Mainstreet Credit Union.
- Overdraft Privilege may be reduced if you are more than 30 days past due on any loan with us, or more than one month past due on your Mainstreet Credit Union issued credit card, your account becomes subject to any legal or administrative order or levy, or if you fail to maintain your account in good standing by not bringing your account to a positive balance within 32 days for a minimum of one business day. You must bring your account balance positive for at least one business day to have the full Overdraft Privilege limit reinstated. If you are more than 60 days past due on any loan with Mainstreet Credit Union, have an active bankruptcy, or have defaulted on any obligation with Mainstreet Credit Union, the Overdraft Privilege limit will be suspended.
If you have any questions about Overdraft Protection or Overdraft Privilege, please call us at (913) 599-1010 or visit a branch.